It’s cold and quiet In Palm Beach & Whale Beach in June but the Committee is very active writing submissions and letters, meeting with Council and Govt Departments and initiating/monitoring/discussing many issues important to our Community including –
- The Palm Beach Wharf to Gov Phillip Park walkway is very close to completion and will provide safe walking for pedestrians along Barrenjoey Rd at long last.
- Manly to Palm Beach Coastal Walkway – Whale Beach Rd section.
To help improve pedestrian safety and access along Whale Beach Road, Whale Beach, Council are proposing to build a new walkway from Norma Road to the existing stairs leading down to Palm Beach. Council would like to hear your feedback on the proposed options, materials and look-out locations.
To learn more and have your say refer to The Council website for details
*attend a Council drop-in session – Thurs 14/6/18 10.30 – 12 & Sat 23/6/18 12.30 -2pm on the Reserve opposite the shops on Ocean Rd at the beachfront.
The PBWBA is supporting the Whale Beach residents who want a one metre pavement, a six metre road, traffic calming measures and maximising resident parking (Option A). The association does not support a short, inaccessible bush walk (Option B).
The whole of the walkway must be accessible to the less mobile, disabled and residents pushing prams.
*make a comment online | Comments close Wednesday 27 June 2018
You may also be interested in Council Community Engagement “Have Your Say” links –
- * My Place – Avalon (closes 24th June) and * My Place – Northern Beaches (closes 24th June)
- Barrenjoey Lighthouse – Met with National Parks & Wildlife Service Director, Greater Sydney Branch, Deon Van Rensberg and the Area Manager, Sydney North, Stephen Higham to discuss the provision of toilets and water at the Lighthouse, the Headland Plan of Management, The Basin and other issues. It is disconcerting, frustrating and disappointing that the planning for and provision of basic toilet facilities and water for the 250,000 plus visitors per year to the Lighthouse has languished and it appears that it is not being pursued with any passion, except by PBWBA. After receiving the NSW Govt press release – “NSW’s national parks to get $50 million for new and improved tracks” (SMH 9/6/18) – we will write to our local member The Hon Rob Stokes to request, as a matter of urgency in the interest of public health, that a tiny portion of the $630 million budgeted for investment into National Parks be allocated to the provision of toilets and water at The Lighthouse.
- Meeting with Council 15/6/18 re High Pedestrian Activity Area proposed extension by RMS of 40km speed limit from Iluka Rd (nth) to Golf Club.
We’re keeping a close eye on, amongst a number of things, the commencement of Kiddies Corner landscaping, provision of dish drains in Ocean Rd, transfer of Crown Land to Council management, new state laws applying to “Party Houses” and unofficial function centres, consultation on BLine extension to Newport, public transport links new Northern Beaches Hospital and completion of the implementation of Pittwater Park Parking Strategies.
For your children, grandchildren or young people in your life –
Avalon Youth Hub aims to be a safe space for young people, their families and support persons. A go-to for help with a range of concerns in respect to a young person, not just in times of crisis. This could involve general feelings of confusion or concerns about matters relating to family conflict, homelessness (couch surfing), drugs and alcohol, school issues, police matters, mental health, or simply coming in to ask for advice.
Next Coffee Morning Tuesday 26th June 10.30am at 2108 ESPRESSO on the beachfront.
Future coffee morning dates –
- Wednesday July 25th 10.30am Moby Dick’s Whale Beach Rd Whale Beach
- Thursday August 30th VENUES TBA
- Friday September 28th
- Monday October 29th
- Tuesday November 27th
Centenary Christmas Cocktail Party early December date & venue to be advised.
Richard West AM